Saturday, October 15, 2011

Cactopus

One of my students (the really cute Jenny which has been featured on this blog many times) thought that a cactus was called a cactopus. It was adorable. Anyway, this weekend I finally made it down to the Jalgachi fish market. Pretty amazing place, particularly as Koreans eat all the weird seafood you can think of and unlike the only other fish market (Sydney) that I have been to, Koreans wont stand for any sanitary organized shit. They just stick it all right out there in bins and scream at you to buy it. All this fish is sold by adjumas (the grumpy middle age/old ladies that shove you around). Definitely a lot of very unappetizing fish (some fish just do not look like they should be eaten) and some very appetizing fish.
So these were still thrashing around and alive but later on we saw some that had been cooked and looked delicious

Very sassy with all of her shell fish that I did not recognize




They were quite good at displaying their wares

I just really don't see the appeal


These had teeth that look like they could kill you

Yum

Stingray

Not delicious looking but fairly picturesque


Pete were these the knives you wanted? Cause I didn't get you one

No matter how many restaurants I pass by with these guys swimming in tanks in my face I will never think these taste (yes I have tried them, shocking I know) or look good. They are monsters and should be left in the ocean.

See! Monsters! He leaped out of his bin of water and began running in front of us and I had opened toed shoes on, not a good choice.

Only the foolish Americans stopped to take photos and gasp while all the Koreans just stepped over it and calmly informed the lady that her octopus had gotten away. When she picked it up she then shoved it in my startled friends face. Thank god it hadn't been me because I think I would have had a heart attack

Cool looking but in the same way that monsters are "cool" looking. Only in pictures.

Just chopping up some eels

No comments:

Post a Comment