Thursday, April 19, 2012

Sihanoukville: still waiting for my debit card

So Danielle and I are still in Sihanoukville waiting for my debit card...hopefully this wont be true in another week. Its a fairly good place to be stuck as we pretty much just spend our days at the beach and out nights out on the town...or like tonight going to bed at 9 because I am so exhausted. This is Cambodia's main beach resort which is good and bad. Good in that there are tons of awesomely comfy chairs on the beach and people bringing you food and drink whenever. Bad because people selling stuff on the beach and just generally bugging you never stops. I was trying to take a nap and a woman came over and just started giving me a message and only after about 4 minutes of me insisting I would not be paying for this and I did not want a message did she leave. There are lots of kids selling bracelets and whatnot and some of them are cute and funny while others are super rude and annoying. The beach can be a bit dirty some days too which is a bummer.
The party scene seems to be the same as any other backpacker party place where people just drink tons of red bull and stay out all night. The red bull here is like straight speed and is actually illegal in America. Needless to say pretty much everyone is super pumped up and chatty until about 5 am. The first weekend were were here was Khmere New Year which I thought would just be one fun night like our New Year...it was a full three nights and I did not feel well at the end. The tradition is that people just run around all day dumping baby powder and water on people. Quite fun the first day and then makes you want to strangle small children when you are hungover and soaking. On Saturday we went on a booze cruise that one of the foreign bars was putting on which was quite fun. Got to make lots of new friends. When I meet people not from America I generally just tell them I am from New York because it is such a pain to try an explain Vermont to people and no one really cares anyway. So I met some girl and told here I was from New York and she goes, "Every American I meet is from New York! You guys must all travel so much!" I didn't have the heart to tell her that not only was I lying but at least half of the other people probably were too.
After all the excitement of the New Year we needed some r and r so we went to an island about 2 hours away by boat. The island (Koh Rung) has no electricity except generators between 6 and 10. The beaches are completely white and the water is crystal clear. Pretty much what you imagine when you imagine a perfect beach. The Australian guy who owned the guesthouse we were in would go fishing every day and then let you select your fish for him to grill. We have had some of the best seafood here its all so fresh and they cook it amazingly. Unlike the kids in Sihanoukville who are always trying to get you to give them money the kids on the island weren't selling anything and just wanted to play with you. It was super cute. One little kid came up to me at night when I was listening to my ipod and just snuggled up to me and put one of the headphones in his ear. He didn't say anything to me and just sat there for like 15 min before running away. It was adorable. There were also lots of puppies.

No comments:

Post a Comment