Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Not Treading Water

So there was a bold generalization made by my dear mother that I was just "treading water" for my final two weeks in India and I would like to make it clear that while that is often literally true since I am doing lots of swimming it is not true in the sense that I am just sitting around waiting to come home. Gokarna was a crazy beautiful beach but a bit too quiet and isolated for how long I stayed there. It was nice though cause I had a bit of a cold so I was able to recover in a beautiful and quiet setting. The town of Gokarna was pretty chill, lots of Hindu temples that I wasn't allowed in as a non-Hindu but it was very pleasant to walk around. One of the best parts of going to the beach in India is watching the huge groups of young Indian men who will literally spend a full hour taking photos of each other in every imaginable pose. The only other people that I have seen get so absorbed in photographing themselves would be 16 year old girls. Its kind of like watching a swimsuit editorial being shot only with dudes but with all the same poses.
So besides relaxing on the beach, swimming, eating, drinking, making friends and all that I am occupied alternately by dreading going home and getting really excited. I am dreading it as I will eventually have to deal with real life and think about getting a job and will have to give up my wildly indulgent lifestyle of doing whatever I want when I wake up every morning. Most of all I am dreading the two question that I know I will be pelted with the moment I set my feet on American soil: How was Korea and you traveling? So what are you going to do now? Two worst questions ever. In regards to the first one how am I supposed to sum up a year in Korea and seven months of travel in a sentence and why should I? No one actually wants to hear a real answer when they ask that so they shouldn't ask unless they are prepared for a full on conversation. Next, I have slight ideas for my future but I don't really want to share them with people until I have actually started doing them. So essentially if you love me don't ask me these questions.
On the other hand I am very excited to come home for the obvious reason that I haven't been in America or seen my family and friends in 19 months! I am also extremely excited for all the amazing food and drink that I will be able to have again.
Anyway, my final week is being spent in Palolem in Goa and so far it is beautiful here and the food is delicious so I think it is going to be a good final week. Today is the first day of the Ganesh festival so I think there is supposed to be some excitement on the beach this evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment