Sunday, March 27, 2011

Photoooos


Streets below PNU (Pusan National University) about a 15 min walk from home and where lots of bars, shopping and food is. 
 Pathetic produce section. Pretty much everything is packaged in annoying plastic bags and you usually can't buy things in anything less than these large bags. Not great for a single eater who eats minimal veggies.
 A few bags of rice
 A few more bags of rice.
 This is the size of rice that I buy for myself.
(In case the sarcasm doesn't translate I do not buy these, I buy individual microwaveable rice that is delicious and I eat it every day)
 Chili paste
And more chili paste, again appropriately sized for the army.

So pretty much grocery stores kinda suck here. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of the isles of ramon or soy sauce. Pretty much they sell very few items but the items that they do sell they keep an entire isle stocked of the exact same product in varying size containers. It also appears that they only use chili paste to flavor food and sell no other spices. This has definitely reinforced my love for the Co-op and Whole Foods. Also wish that I could get some of those fresh veggies from the farm that Mother will be living off but sadly fresh delicious food does not seem to be something that the Koreans are very into. Word on the street is that Costco is awesome so I think we are going to make a trip there with someone with a membership after we get paid to stock up. 


For those of you not in the know this is the han bok, the traditional dress. I have been surprised by how many of these shops are around Busan. Luckily I've got this area of fashion covered. My han bok is being kept safe in a closet in Vermont (a place that it has been since about 2005). I must say that as stately as some older women look in their han boks (there were a number at the wedding I went to) it is definitely not the most flattering garment (unless your pregnant).

No comments:

Post a Comment