Monday, May 16, 2011

3 Months of Real Life is Waaaaay Too Long

So we are coming up on three months living and teaching in Korea! We finish our term next week and the following Monday will have a whole new set of classes and students and hopefully will be able to correct all of the mistakes we made with our first classes. The time here has gone really fast but more due to the fact that I feel like I am constantly working than the fact that I am constantly having fun. Not to say that there hasn't been lots of fun. I spent Saturday (after a stupid morning of having to work) drinking sangria and beating people at hearts and eating and it was lovely. But mostly I work. Getting out at ten makes the day seem so much longer, I would really prefer a more standard schedule but I do enjoy my hot yoga in the mornings.
It is pretty overwhelming to think that only three months have gone by though and that we will continue to work non-stop until we leave. So nine more months to go. Not that I am counting or anything. I am just not used to a seemingly endless work schedule. While Busan is a great city it doesn't quite have the fun concerts and outside eating that most places in the US have and there seems to be a bit of a lack of exciting things to look forward to. To try and remedy that I have just ordered the Korea Lonely Planet- one would think that it would have occurred to me to bring this key item but no, I needed to fit all my shoes in the suitcase. Anyway, I am hoping with the arrival of this book Danielle and I will begin planning a few more outings or simply a little more sight seeing around Busan. I am also excited for the coming summer. Its been wonderfully warm the last couple of days and will probably continue to heat up until I never leave my apartment because I can't really handle heat and humidity. Until then I plan on making use of our roof which, though not as exciting as 2 Sutton Place South does have some nice greenery and benches. I spent about 30 mins up there on Sunday and got sunburned. It was awesome. Soon it will be beach weather and then everything will be wonderful.
I feel guilty that I have done relatively little in the three months that I have been here but I try to remind myself that if I was living and working full time in the US I would probably be sitting on my ass 90% of the time too. But since I am not in the US that excuse doesn't quite fly. I am only planning on being here a year and I definitely want to take advantage of that. But I tell myself that that doesn't mean that I can't spend a Sunday here and there sitting on my sofa all day eating and watching TV.
Besides work seeming eternal things are going well, summer is on its way and my mom has promised to send me a care package with New Yorkers (but I definitely miss you all)!

No comments:

Post a Comment