Thursday, June 2, 2011

"Hiking"

So it only took Danielle and I about 3 months to figure out that there was an awesome park/hiking area a 10 minute walk behind our apartments. We finally went on Sunday to explore and do a little walking and it turns out that there is quite a lot of hiking to be done! We took a cable car up the mountain and then followed a route that had been suggested to us by a very helpful volunteer at the entrance. He had approached us and of course stood way to close to us because Koreans have never heard of personal space and of course it seemed like he was either just a creeper or a missionary of some sort but it turned out that he was extremely helpful and provided us with a nice little route as well as maps. Once we got to the top we set out on what ended up being a lovely hour and a half "hike". I say "hike" not because it wasn't actually hiking, it was definitely a hiking trail, some parts more challenging than others but because unlike all the Koreans who were dressed head to toe in hiking gear and all had fancy backpacks and walking sticks Danielle and I (mostly me) were not quite as prepared.
Inside a little Buddhist temple. These flowers covered the ceiling and i am guessing had prayers written on them.

The beautiful alter. A super nice couple explained to us that whenever they came hiking in this park they would stop here and bow three times and pray for health and wealth for them and their family.

Buddhas carved into the rock.





Extreme hiking gear

My hiking gear. I will also note that I have finally fulfilled my Vermont hippy roots and purchased my first pair of Birkenstocks.


We tried to get a woman to take our picture but she did not understand what we wanted to we got her daughter to take the picture but unfortunately she was about 2 feet below us and not the best photographer.

My much better picture of Danielle

There was a bus to take you to the bottom of the mountain and they jammed themselves so tightly in that I am surprised no one fainted.

Koreans are very good at making lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment