Sunday, June 26, 2011

Rainy Season and Spending the Entire Day Naked

So the rainy season has officially begun and its bullshit. Pretty much is has poured rain since Wednesday and will probably continue to do some for at least another week. For the few moments a day when its not raining it is so painfully humid that I would almost prefer rain.
Last weekend I went with some friends to Daegu- its the third largest city in Korea and only about an hour by train from Busan. It was great to get away for a weekend and I really liked Daegu. We pretty much spent second of our 36 hour trip eating and drinking. As the location of one of our lovely military bases it has the best western food that I have come across while here. We started things off with some cocktails at one of the few restaurants with outside seating. Koreans seem to fear the sun and getting tan so there are no places to sit and eat/drink outside. Its a travesty. We followed that up with a delicious meal at a french restaurant called Dijon. I had my fill of red meat as don't every cook it for myself. I had beef carpacio (delicious) followed by an amazing steak au poivre and it was amazing. Perfectly cooked. I was very impressed. We then hit up all the hotspots for the rest of the night. The next day we went to the Holy Grill which I had heard many storied of as it serves amazing western brunch with some of the best bloody marys I've ever had. The rest of the day was spent wondering from restaurant to restaurant alternatively drinking and eating until we made it back to the Holy Grill for dinner. It was a lovely little trip and I can't wait to go back and eat more!
With all the rain there are very few options for activities. Its pretty much spend the day sitting around watching movies (todays activity), eating/shopping/movies at Shinsegae or getting naked and lounging around one of the Korean baths. We opted for the baths yesterday as we conveniently live right down the street from the largest bath in all of Asia! It was a very relaxing and very naked experience. I got a "message/scrub" in which about an inch of my skin was rubbed off by a woman wearing underwear. It was quite aggressive and she was quite thorough (I don't think my butt needed as much scrubbing as it received). I definitely fell freshened up afterwards and so much skin was removed that my tattoos look band new.
We followed up our 3 hours of bathing by crossing the street and having a dinner buffet with all you can drink wine at a hotel. It was delicious and I pretty much ate myself into a coma. Today has pretty much just been sitting around watching movies as I refuse to leave my apartment until the sun is shining and I can go to the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment