Saturday, April 23, 2011

Found My Nori-Ban Song: Sweet Child of Mine

Yesterday was an extremely raining and miserable day which turned into quite a lovely evening with my coworkers. We had a staff dinner and bonding event (bowling) which I had really been dreading because its with all the Korean staff who don't really know much English. While I would have preferred to spend the whole day in the comfort of my apartment I forced myself to go teach the one class I had today (only one student showed up it was totally worthless). We had a very delicious dinner of spicy chicken and noodles (and rice of course) but I can't remember the Korean name. While the food was good there wasn't much stimulating conversation and mostly a lot of long silences at my end of the table. Things got a little more exciting when we went bowling. I haven't been bowling since about 8th grade and if I recall correctly I was much more interested in flirting with the boys than bowling. Needless to say my bowling skills are pretty bad. But we had beer and soju and had some fun. I remember our bowling alley (the lovely one next to Hollywood Hard Bodies in WRJ) having lots of greasy food and black lights at night but this was not the case with the Korean bowling alley. It was much more Big Labowski with lots of florescent lights and very serious bowlers. Koreans seem to take every activity to an extreme: they were hiking gear to walk along a perfectly flat and paved path by the river, go to the hospital at the smallest sign of a cough and wear crazy robot arm things for bowling. They all looked like the terminator. They were also much better bowlers than us but they also weren't drinking so I wont give them too much credit. Anyway bowling was entertaining and then all the Koreans went home and Danielle, our boss Jen and another coworker James enjoyed the now beautiful night by hanging out outside a convenience store. Its pretty much the best bar every: there are tables and chairs and you just have to go inside to get super cheap beer. The only minor downside is that you have to pee in an ally way but luckily all my camping (and field parties) has made me a very talented outside pee-er (I know these are the really important details that you all want to know). Anyway it was quite lovely. We each spent about $5 on this stupid game- the kind with the claw and you try to pick up stuffed animals. Turns out its extremely frustrating because it seems like it should be really easy but it is NOT. After several hours of hanging out we decided that since our plan to just have one drink was already shot we might as well go to a nori-ban (kareoke for those not following along). Anyway it was awesome as usual and I have finally set upon my song: Sweet Child of Mine by Guns n Roses. I got an 100% and totally kicked ass. I also did quite well on a duet of Summer Lovin'. I have spent pretty much all of today hanging out on my new awesome $50 couch that I just got and will be making dinner with Danielle tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment