Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sweaty Foreigners

Danielle and I have recently joined a hot yoga studio that has locations throughout Busan. Its been great to do something physical as I have pretty much kept that at a minimum up to now. We are of course the only white people the class and sweat about 5 times as much as any of the Koreans. It seems that Koreans are immune to heat- women, particularly the older ones are always fully bundled up and even on beautiful days everyone is wearing a warm winter coat. Anyway we are definitely an oddity in the class.
Work has been pretty uneventful though this Friday we have to have dinner and go bowling with everyone from work. This wouldn't be so bad except that it means we are going out with all the Korean staff none of whom can really speak any English and it is sure to be awkward and not that fun. Next week the parents have been invited to watch us teach for a half hour which should be horrible not only because my classroom is tiny and there isn't any room for parents. Hopefully my kids will become brilliant over the weekend so I make a good impression.
On Saturday Danielle and I are planning on going to Shinsege Department store which is the largest in the entire world! While some of you may assume that this is my mecca it is not. Department stores often overwhelm me with too much choice and they are always way too expensive. Especially here in Korea where there is tons of inexpensive shopping. Whats funny about shopping here is that pretty much every store has a version of the exact same clothes. Koreans all dress the same, luckily I like pretty much all of it. I have heard though that there is delicious food at this department store and we all know how much I like to eat so that should be fun.
Danielle and I also just bought tickets for DJ Fest in Seoul for a few weekends from now. Looks like a big party that would be a rave anywhere else in the world but because we are in Korea will probably not be too crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment